Abu Muhammad al-Maqdisi, the leading Jihadi scholar in Jordan (and worldwide for that matter), has issued a statement on his website regarding Gaza. In short: Hamas has let down the Muslim community and needs to step out of the way and allow the Jihadis there and abroad to take over the fight against Israel. Maqdisi is particularly enraged by Hamas’ recent crackdown on the Army of Islam. Here’s a summary of the highlights:
- If not for tyrranical rulers and their armies, Muslims would be flocking across their countries’ borders to Gaza now on a jihad.
- We’re not surprised by the failure of our feckless rulers. We’re surprised by the leaders of Hamas, who spurn the Taliban, Jihadi clerics, and true monotheists [eg Army of Islam] while praising the Shia and its leaders [eg Hezbollah and Iran] and even secular governments that plot against Islam.
- Some might say this is the time for solidarity and not reproaching others. We say that there is no time like the present. Neglecting to speak out is one of the main reasons the enemies have been ascendant.
- Hamas is misleading Muslims with its glittering slogans, which blind people to their wayward goals and strategies, leading them down the path of criminals.
- Hamas is selling out Islam and cozying up to tyrants.
- Hamas started the bloodshed in Gaza several weeks ago when it killed members of the Army of Islam organization. In this they brought joy to the Jews.
- We support those who fight for pure monotheism, not democracy or nationalism. We won’t stand in the way of those who want to fight for these things, but we won’t support them and we don’t want others to follow them.
- Hamas needs to abandon democracy and return to pure monotheism. It needs to stop hindering those who would fight under monotheism’s banner.
Document (Arabic): 12-29-08-tawhed-maqdisi-statement-on-hamas