That’s the title of a post last week by Faloja member `Umar `Abd al-Hakim in Syria. `Umar believes that Jihadis have successfully penetrated Youtube and it’s now time to more directly market their materials to the masses. To this end, he gives an overview of Facebook and why it will be useful for Jihadi propagandists. To get the ball rolling, `Umar and others announced a campaign yesterday, “Aid Invasion2” (Ghazwat al-Nusra2). Below is a summary of `Umar’s introductory post, followed by the announcement of the campaign.
Note that the Facebook invaders believe the propaganda front is outside of the Jihadi forums, a point I have made repeatedly. Moreover, this is not an attempt to replicate the social networks that exist on the forums; the members of the campaign want to exploit existing networks of people who are hostile to them and presumably they will adopt new identities once they have posted their material. Additionally, `Umar believes this is a solution to the recent closure of prominent Jihadi forums and channels of media distribution. Finally, the structure of the Nusra2 campaign organization is interesting: compartmentalized and hierarchical.`Umar’s “Raiding Facebook: Theory and Practice”:
- We have already had great success in raiding Youtube.
- American politicians have used Facebook to get votes, like the house slave Obama.
- Anyone can join and you can reach millions of people. The April 6 youth are a good example of this.
- I am writing this because supporters of jihad don’t know how to use Facebook to reach Americans or Muslims.
- Don’t worry about security as long as you don’t disclose your personal info and you use new email addresses to subscribe.
- A large number of people in the Arab world are using Facebook.
- We can use Facebook to fight the media attack on Jihadi media and the forums. We can post media on Facebook that shows the Crusader losses.
- Since Facebook is so widespread, we need to use it.
- By using Facebook, we can move from the forums and engage common people and Americans themselves to show them the reality of their losses, which are being concealed by their media.
- One of the goals of invading Facebook is to “move away from elite society (the forums and the Jihadi websites) to Muslims in general and participate and interact with them.” [parenthetical comments are `Umar’s]
- The brothers should immediately start to build their expertise in using Facebook.
- I’ve called this campaign “Ghazwat al-Nusra2” (Aid Invasion2) because we are aiding our brothers on the forums: Hesbah, Firdaws, Boraq, and Ekhlaas.
`Umar then provides a series of detailed instructions on how to sign up for Facebook.
Yesterday’s announcement of the structure of the campaign follows:
There are seven brigades, each headed by a commander.
- Sharia Brigade: spreads Salafi-Jiahdi doctrine and responding to doubts planted by erring people to misguide Muslim youth. It will distribute articles and audio messages from Salafi-Jihadi scholars.
- Media and Planning Brigade: distributes Jihadi media files and incitement plans
- Statements Brigade: posts Jihadi statements
- Preparation Brigade: distributes military training material
- Security Brigade: distributes security info required for Jihadi media and also security courses
- English Media Brigade: posts Jihadi media and statements in English
- Martyrs and Prisoners Brigade: distributes bios, writings, and videos of martyrs. Also material on prisoners
Each brigade will establish a special group that is secret and not known to the other brigades. There is no contact between any of the brigades. Each brigade will have eight members, who will each participate in at least two groups.
Each commander of a brigade is on the Shura Council, in addition to `Umar `Abd al-Hakim [total of 8 people]. Every week, members of a brigade will write their commander and tell him of their activities. He will pass the reports along to the Shura council, which will then issue a weekly report of the campaign’s activities.
Document (Arabic): 12-10-08-faloja-raiding-facebook-theory-and-practice
Document (Arabic): 12-16-08-faloja-first-statement-of-nusra2-raid